The Diesel Mechanic is responsible for maintaining the trucks and facilities and coordinating all required repairs. He/She must own a mechanic's tool set, capable of supporting general heavy equipment fleet, including electrical and internal combustion engine and be willing to expand personal tools.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain inventory of parts necessary to perform job (i.e., bulbs, gloves, fittings, etc.).
- Evaluate poorly running trucks and insures their proper repair.
- Provide regular maintenance of facility and all equipment.
- Review vehicle inspection reports and insure all repairs will be made.
- Perform all required DOT and CHP services and inspections. Keep up-to-date truck files and ensure that the Company is in compliance with all regulations.
- Keep fleet in compliance with all DOT and CHP regulations.
- Ensure that trucks are always in a safe operating condition.
- Must be available to be "on- call" if needed
Typical Minimum Education & Experience
- High school diploma or GED; Associate's Degree preferred.
- Mechanic certification preferred (air brake adjustment, etc.)
- Valid driver's license, or with Class A ( tanker/ hazmat endorsements preferred)
- 2-5 years' experience in the heavy equipment industry; diesel engine experience and hydraulics preferred
- Basic understanding of: Internal Combustion Engines (both gas and diesel), DC Electrical Systems, Air Systems, Brakes / Suspension Systems, Heavy Trucks/Automotive, Welding techniques, Fuel Systems, Electrical Systems, Hydraulic Systems
- Must own a mechanical tool set
- Able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Able to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Able to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Able to apply concepts of basic algebra.
- Able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Heavy physical effort (up to 100 pounds)
- Hearing, talking, walking, periods of prolonged sittings
Pilot Thomas Logistics is an Equal Opportunity Employer